Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My year of careening crazily

Have you ever had a year when everything changes completely?

A year ago, I was a wandering graduate student in the Himalayas, wearing the same three pairs of hiking pants over and over. I had a lovely boyfriend back in the States, with whom I talked regularly, but my life felt pretty footloose and fancy-free (on a good day; and nauseatingly unmoored, on a bad one.)

Now, everything is changing utterly. I moved back to the States, stopped wandering through villages and subsisting on rice. We bought and moved into a house - our first time living together.

After spending all of this century (!) as a graduate student (yeah, since fall 2000), I am about to move to the other side of the desk, to resume getting a paycheck, to start paying back my student loans.

In the next six months, I will become a professor and a wife. After so long as a student and a singleton, it makes my head spin.

Symbolizing these transitions, I have purchased the two most expensive items of clothing I've ever owned in the past six months.

One, as you would suspect, is a gorgeously flowing white gown, about which I will say nothing else, as Mr. Barefoot turns out to be secretly following my blog.
(Hi ya!)

The other is also flowing and gorgeous, but in navy twill. I looks something like this:

I'll wear it on May 17, exactly 5 months and 1 week, before I wear my other insanely expensive piece of clothing.

How's this for a bridesmaid's look? A number of my friends have, or have worn such gowns, so I'm thinking it could work.

6 comments:

LPC said...

I cannot imagine anything cooler than all your bridesmaids in their graduate gowns, maybe even hoods, but instead of the caps they wear flower headpieces. Or something of the sort...That is a non-fractured identity, huh?

Anonymous said...

bahahahaha!

the un-bride said...

Wow ... congrats on the impending degree & career change!

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

well. this article of clothing is even more important than that white one no matter what it looks like.

all my best

jes [a mountain bride] said...

I LOVE that so many brides in blogland are smart, educated women. You must be ecstatic for these upcoming celebrations!

I've decided to get married 2 weeks before my graduation ceremony...so many life altering moments!

Congrats!

elizabeth said...

Thanks, ladies, for all the support! It is sooooo exciting to have all these life-changing moments converging!