Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wed Head

Do you ever get this?

If my day starts with wedding-related stuff (today it was cake tasting - yum!), it is ridiculously hard to switch back to the serious, theoretical pre-professor I'm supposed to be. (Not quite a prof, but I play one on TV ;-) ).


Rather than focusing on that chapter I'm supposed to finish, visions of sugar plums, and tinted icing, and raspberry filling, and sugar silkscreened postcards are dancing through my head. Along with rings, and a dress-fitting, and the invitation design, and flowers, and centerpieces... oh, and the ceremony! Right now (four months out), there seems to be a lot to do, with all of it demanding attention.

I've got a bad case of wed head.

That said, I think we've found our baker, the lovely Edith Meyer. We met her at her 1921 Craftsman house that sits in the middle of a gorgeous fruit and vegetable garden, and sampled a delectable array of cakes and icings.

She works with locally-sourced organic ingredients, organic fair-trade chocolate, and free-range organic eggs. (The fair-trade chocolate is a huge bonus because much of the world's supply of chocolate comes from West Africa, where the production of chocolate often depends on child slavery. Ah, yes, briefly coming back to my pedantic profession. I learned the hard facts about chocolate only last summer, from a colleague. These little facts can help us become more conscious consumers...)

Back to sugarplums... Edith's cakes are not only socially-responsible, they're downright gorgeous, with a clean, modern aesthetic.



She copied the design on the bride's gown for this one.

Though we've steered away from the Alice in Wonderland theme idea (despite the fact that it would incorporate croquet and make a great play on my name) this cake captures the ideas that we discussed with her the best.


We walked in thinking that we would get a simple white cake decorated with flowers. After going to a cake tasting yesterday where every additional design element added twenty-five cents per serving to the cake cost, we were in the mode of thinking conservatively in order to stay within our budget. However, Edith's pricing system is different, and she encouraged us to think outside of the (round) box. She worked hard to brainstorm with us to figure out what sorts of themes and ideas would represent us well.

When I mentioned the postcards that we used as Save The Dates and will probably use for table assignments, her eyes lit up. So the cake may incorporate design elements from the invitations that reflect our love of the outdoors, and pick up on the postcard theme to represent our love of travel. Woo-hoo!

I feel so fortunate to have met so many wonderfully skilled and creative people during the wedding planning process!

10 comments:

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

wow! all her cakes are amazing! I just can't wait to see what she comes up with for you with the postcards!!!???

Congrats, she seems fabulous. I'm off to see her blog.

Check one more thing off your list, and yes, it happens to every bride. The Wed head thing. It'll go away soon!

very married said...

haha! i've never heard of that before. "wed head" funny!

Color Me Green said...

those are certainly whismical cakes! i'm sure yours will be awesome. so great you could find someone who uses organic free trade ingredients.

Eco Yogini said...

HAHA- wed head! I can totally relate! Had our first meeting with the photographer last night and afterwards that's ALL I was thinking about!

WOW- I am SO LE JEALOUS of your beautiful beautiful wedding cake! Free Range, Organic, LOCAL??? Sigh. you are so lucky! We've been having a difficult time finding a local baker who will do that. I actually started drooling over the chocolate cake haha. I also can't wait to see pictures of your awesome, eco-cake! :)

also- thank you very much for the Patagonia link- have been perusing their site and am SO impressed! Their environmental info is unbelievable! so again, many many thanks :)

Blessings! (and WOOT wed head, i am SO adopting that)

Carly said...

I love that chocolate wedding cake. Its a sweet deal that you are getting a BEAUTIFUL, organic and local wedding cake!

ps- I made a blogroll and added you, just wanted to let you know!

the un-bride said...

Wow -- those cakes are amazing! I love the topsy-turvy ones. Also, "wed head" ... I'm so stealing that.

jectedos: one of those weird mexican candies with chili spice on it (wft is that about, anyway?!)

Krista said...

those are simply gorgeous cakes and great that its all organic local stuff :)

Anonymous said...

Haha I love the term "wedhead"--I just posted an entry along the same lines of this. Great (procrastinating) minds think alike.

Also her cakes are STUNNING. Wow. Can't wait to see what she comes up with for you!

{The Perfect Palette} said...

Dont miss your chance to enter our latest give-a-way! 75 $ worth or merchandise + a matching garter + a wedding planner!

elizabeth said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one with wed head!

Also, I wanted to point out, for anyone else who might be in the Bay Area, that, although these cakes are beautiful, *delicious*, and organic, they're no more expensive than those from any of the other bakers we contacted.