Saturday, March 14, 2009

Letterpress to Save the Planet!


How did I miss this before? Bella Figura creates beautiful letterpress invitations using soy-based and low VOC inks using 100% cotton paper made from reclaimed fibers in a wind powered plant, where employees are given bus passes and memberships in a community-supported agriculture (CSA) farm!

Through participation in 1% for the Planet, an initiative started by reknowned climber and environmentalist Yvon Chouinard of Patagonia sportswear fame, they donate at least 1% of their annual revenues to environmental organizations worldwide. They have really raised the bar for environmentally-responsible invitations. How incredibly cool that they are marrying their passion for paper and design with their commitment to protect the environment - something Mr. Barefoot and I want to emulate. I love it when people pursue what they love, while keeping the larger social and environmental perspectives in mind.

And their designs are absolutely beautiful!



A small additional bonus is that they're based in Syracuse, NY, where my late, and much-beloved, grandmother lived for every single one of her 98 years. When I got engaged, she was the first one I wanted to tell, but alas, I had to waft a message upward and hope that it reached her, rather than picking up the phone. I wish so much that she could be at my wedding. Getting something from her hometown might make me feel like she was included.

2 comments:

the un-bride said...

The detail about your grandmother is heart-breakingly lovely.

elizabeth said...

So sweet of you to comment! I miss her so much more now that I'm planning my wedding. But I know she'll be watching.