Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Introducing DJ Tio

Getting a handle on the right sort of music for a really fun dance party that would appeal to friends and relatives of all ages, hailing from all over the world, was not as simple as we had hoped. A post I wrote about a month ago generated a bunch of good ideas (Thanks, Un-bride and The Flashdance!), but ultimately, these led to dead ends.

Back to Yelp! and its list of DJs. One of them called me "passive aggressive." Ugh. Out.

Then there was the Disappearing DJ: the one who was available on Friday, but was no longer available on Monday. His explanation: "I've decided to go a different direction with my availability on Oct. 24th. I'm sorry for the inconvenience." That's ok. He lost me when he air-guitared the first few bars of a Journey ballad, in response to my question about how he'd get people dancing if they were lagging. "Don't Stop Believin'" is his 'can't fail' song. I'm not sure it's so big in our crowd.

When it looked like our options were dwindling, I emailed my brilliant uncle in Connecticut. Tio once gave me a piece of advice that has guided my life: "Find work you love, and you'll never work a day in your life." The tricky thing about this strategy, as I have learned, is that it sometimes takes you for a bumpy ride. But if you can both hold on and flex with the curves, the trip can be exhilarating.

Tio's love is music. He's been a radio DJ all over the place, including Sirius Satellite Radio (unfortunately, the merger with XM caused them to cut a bunch of DJs. Including Tio. Ouch.). He agreed to advise us on music, and spin live at the wedding! I don't want to him to be working the whole time, so we will still hire a DJ. But now I know we've got some great backup, too.

3 comments:

Dyanne said...

Yay!! I am sure that makes you feel so much better. I think its interesting how each of us has our own sticking points in wedding planning.

LPC said...

A DJ called you passive aggressive? Who died and made him Freud?

the un-bride said...

Hooray! So glad you found a plan that works for you!

(hagatar: someone with a deep, passionate hatred of the comic strip Hagar The Horrible)