Monday, July 6, 2009

Should I be concerned...

... that our caterer thinks that my fiance is marrying someone named "Ashley"?

That's according to the contract she sent us.

hmmm.... this may be the only downside to having the groom very involved in the planning. The vendors know his name, but not mine. He coordinates, I write the checks.

On the upside, maybe all I have to do is show up!

He's no Stunt Groom!

(I'm trying to get him to meet with florist later in the week... just trying to determine the odds of ending up with all pink carnations*. Slim, I think. But I need to get those odds down to nil.)

Maybe I can get him to go to the dress fitting for me as well... Since I'm not great with self-denial, and still very much in the throes of the dissertation, which must Must MUST be done in three weeks, I'm going to postpone the fitting. I'm may be the only bride in history who has not wanted to see her dress as soon as it arrived. The time is better spent reducing stress by working out at the gym.

In other news, we also nailed down a spot for the rehearsal dinner/ welcome party. I was devastated to learn that we couldn't have a Friday night barbeque at the hostel/ restored army barracks where some - but not all - of our guests are staying. Hostel rules preclude entertaining outside guests there, so (still lacking that beautiful large backyard, and realizing that an October evening could actually be a bit cold for a barbeque) we set out on a hunt for a casual restaurant that could hold a large group. Harder to find than you'd think. None of our favorite taquerias worked out. But lo! - there's a brewery just a mile from our house! Now we're signed, sealed and delivered for beer & 'za the night before the wedding!

*no offense meant to lovers of carnations! I know they can look very chic. They're just not my flower.

10 comments:

LPC said...

Nice post Ashley:).

donna said...

the coincidences continue...
we're trying to get a nearby "gourmet" pizza place for our rehearsal dinner, too! it happens to be housed in one of the hotels many of our guests will be staying at. here's to hoping it will fit more than 40 people without requiring a buyout...

The Thirty-Something Bride said...

The Candyman has a book that says the groom must, in no way, be a part of the flower making decision. I think I agree with the book and give a Get Out of Jail Free card on this one.

Anonymous said...

Ahaha half-way through our most recent meeting with our venue, our coordinator turned to the mister and said, "I'm sorry, I don't actually know your name!" Fucked! I would kind of kill for a vendor to not know mine...

Good luck in the home stretch! I am rooting for you.

Color Me Green said...

haha so funny...well i'm happy for you that your fiance is so involved! and beer and pizza=perfect combination.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing my rehearsal at a brewery too! I bet it's nice to have the groom involved..

Bridechka said...

Haha, great post! The Big Guy is fairly quiet and low key so the vendors all know my name ... unfortunately!

{The Perfect Palette} said...

id be concerned.

Bride in Exile said...

Wow, your sweetie must be good at this stuff. Econo Boy and I visited a lot of vendors together, but 100% of those vendors call me first when they need something. The only ones who call him have never spoken to me and do not have my contact information. I'm still searching for a gentle, charming, but clear way to refute the sexist assumption that I want to handle all of this stuff because I'm the bride!

Colton A said...

Hi thanks for postinng this